Roasted Herb Game Hens
Fresh herbs add rich flavour to this delightful recipe.
4 Cornish game hens
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
50 ml butter, softened
500 ml fresh herbs, chopped (tarragon, thyme, sage, parsley and oregano)
salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 190◦C.
- In a medium bowl, combine butter, garlic and herbs into a coarse paste.
- Loosen the skin on the breast portion of each game hen by running a spoon between the skin and breast.
- Spread some of the herb butter under the skin on the breast of each game hen.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Rub remaining herb butter over the game hens.
- Tie the legs of each hen together with string.
- Tuck the wings of each hen underneath the back.
- Place game hens in roasting pan, breast side up.
- Roast for 1 hour, basting regularly with pan juice.
- Test game hens for doneness with a meat thermometer or by pricking with a fork. Meat is cooked once thermometer reads 190◦C, or when juices run clear when thigh is pricked.
- Serve hot.