Chicken Livers Forestière
Rich and sensational, this recipe brims with French flair.
900 g chicken livers, washed and trimmed
12 large mushrooms, sliced
250 ml all-purpose flour
5 ml paprika
90 ml vegetable oil
30 ml butter
175 ml onions, finely diced
garlic clove, crushed
30 ml olive oil
125 ml dry white wine
2 ml fennel seeds
large tomato, blanched, peeled, seeded and chopped
salt and freshly ground pepper
- Dry chicken livers with paper towels.
- Dust with flour and paprika.
- In a large skillet, heat 45 ml vegetable oil and 15 ml butter over medium-high heat.
- Sauté mushrooms for 1 minute. Remove mushrooms from skillet with a slotted spoon.
- Return skillet to heat and add remaining vegetable oil and butter.
- Add onions and garlic to skillet. Sauté for 2 minutes over medium heat. Remove onion mixture with a slotted spoon.
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken livers to skillet. Cook for 4-5 minutes, turning occasionally, until evenly browned.
- Remove livers from skillet and keep warm.
- Stir wine and fennel into skillet. Simmer over medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Return onion mixture, mushrooms and chicken livers to skillet. Add tomato and heat through.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve.